Sunday, January 6, 2013

Happy Planning 2013!

Happy New Year, everyone!!!

I hope you all made it in safely (and didn't get hit by too many fireworks and the like) and are looking forward to this year as much as I am!

After somewhat of a hiatus, I am back on the garden blogging scene again, and must admit, that I am *already* looking forward to spring. Is that bad to admit?

Because it is not yet the right time to be doing much gardening (at the most some indoor potted planting), this is the best time of year to do some planning and reflecting  - while you have the time to think before you'll need to start buying seeds and planting, planting, planting! Maybe it's time to ask yourself a few questions, I know I will be thinking about the following:

  1. What are your garden goals for this year compared to last? My main goal this year is to get things out early enough - last year a few things just didn't ripen before the rainy, fall weather set it. Otherwise I was pretty happy with my selection of vegetables from last season. Maybe I can find room for some more!
  2. What can you do differently this year, or at least try out, to see that some of your plants grow and produce better? I need to add some wind protection to my balcony - several plants suffered from wind/sun burn and didn't fruit as a result!
  3. What grew particularly well last year, and why? Surprisingly, my chili pepper plants did pretty well - started them indoors early enough, hardened them outside for a while, and ripened them up inside again in the warmth!
  4. Is there anything new you'd like to try out, maybe a new variety of something you've already grown, or a completely new vegetable? Be creative! This year I'm gonna be pretty creative; I have 2 varieties of habaƱero chilies I'm going to attempt to grow -  a purple variety and a one called "white lightening".
  5. Do you need to order a seed catalog? Burpee's 2013 Catalog is available per online request!
  6. Take an inventory of your gardening supplies - is there anything you used up last year or still need? Now may be the time to get some things ready in advance.
Happy Planning 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...