Thursday, January 31, 2013

Mystery Vegetable: Red Arugula

red arugulaSince there are so many (also new) lovely vegetables to try thanks to the weekly delivery of my organic box, I've decided to start a new series here called "Mystery Vegetable"!

Not that these vegetables are anything exotic, after all, they do come from the region (that being Northern Germany), but they are often times not only things that I have never bought before, but things that you can't get at the normal grocery stores...or even vegetables I've never heard of before!

This series will highlight a new vegetable that I get in my box (which does seem to happen often enough to write about!) or if the supply runs out, new vegetables that I discover in the area. Here I will share with you my new vegetable experience! Hopefully you will enjoy discovering them with me and learn something new, too!

Red Arugula
This one is called "Agano-Salat" in German, and as far as my research and translation abilities can tell, it is basically Red Arugula. Arugula mostly comes in the green variety (also known by some as rocket, roquette, rucola), but this red variation is apparently a "chef's secret" (read more)!

The redish-colored leaves you see in the picture are not brown and dried, but rather a brick red color turned so by the cold weather. This belongs to the group of greens known as "post-frost" greens, which grow even after frost hits the garden.

Red Arugula is pretty robust - it doesn't wilt easily and has a bit rougher texture, but can be enjoyed (as can green arugula) with a salad. It provides a bit of a stronger taste, and the leaf tips almost tickle your tongue!

As are many leafy greens, it is also very healthy! It's full of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants!

How I enjoyed mine:
After cooking a portion of buckwheat pasta, I added some fresh mozzarella, cherry tomatos, pesto, and last but not least - the Red Arugula, chopped into bit-sited pieces. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...