Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Mystery Vegetable: Corn Salad

This one isn't really a mystery to me these days, in fact I've grown to love it over the past few years here. Now it's my favorite type of lettuce-y vegetable!

Introducing this luscious green also known as lamb's lettuce aka field salad aka feldsalat aka nut lettuce aka rapunzel aka...

Corn Salad!

Valerianella locusta is its latin name, and has round, soft, dark green leaves, about 6 to a plant or so by the time it's ripe for harvest. It has a nice flavor and is not bitter or rough like many other greens. In fact, it is quite delicious!

It's best eaten on the side with just a little light dressing, or as a base for a salad - if you try to cook/fry this one, it will wither into non-existence!

It supposedly got its common name because it is known to grow as a weed in wheat fields, which is actually kinda funny - when I fist arrived in Germany, I saw my German friends eating this and laughed because I thought they were eating a weed! This delicious green is, however, anything but a weed to me! Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...