Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Mystery Vegetable: Yellow Turnip

yellow turnip
While admittedly really *not* the best picture at all, I think you can still get an idea of what this round little root vegetable is!

It's about the size of a beet, but harder, and is a pale yellow color, not as intense as a lemon. It's a....

Yellow Turnip!
Or that's at least the closest name for it that I could find, so unfortunately no latin name this week (although it is a member of the Brassica genus)! It was labeled in my CSA box as "Rübchen, gelb", which means "root vegetable, yellow", so based on the consistancy and some photos after searching for the official German name for it, I stick by my name for it!

Similar to a turnip and a rutabaga, you can eat a yellow turnip raw with some dip, steam it as a side dish, or cut it up and fry it in a pan, stir-fry style, my favorite! I've only gotten these little guys once so far. They do have a pretty mild flavor, so you can use them in a variety of ways - oh, they'd also be great in a soup! 

Turnips have some great natural fibers and more importantly are filled with Vitamin C! Who would have known? One medium-sized turnip has half of your RDA of it, so load up!

"Let food be thy medicine ... " - Hippocrates. Smart guy. One of my favorite quotes these days, it's so true!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...