Friday, April 19, 2013

Update on water-/soilless kitchen growing...

So I decided to go with the flow after realizing that my kitchen is a great place to sprout aging vegetables! Guess it's the not-too-hot temps and shade that promote growth, but I wanted to share how things are looking as of today (they've been "maturing" for maybe about 2 weeks now):


coriander
coriander (close-up)

napa cabbage
napa cabbage (close-up)


onions
I love it! Who would have thought that the napa cabbage would started blooming at that size! There is some root growth, too, so with a transplant it might actually go somewhere. And then such pretty little yellow flowers on it! The way the flower shoot is growing kinda reminds me of agave plants, which also grow a huge flower shoot out like that. Memories of warm weather and sandy beaches!

Looks like only some of the coriander is really "taking" to its new container...I may try to plant it outside soon to get some more root development and (hopefully) more stems and bigger leaves. That would be awesome to actually get another harvest from these plants (which I bought from the produce section of the Asian market, by the way).

And last but not least, the onions! They are also doing very well. The bigger one is getting a bit yellow (gee, I wonder why!), so I may have to use it as a green onion soon before it wilts again. The upper one has a nice strong stalk!

So, just a little kitchen fun and experimenting! Happy weekend, everyone, and don't be afraid to have fun once in a while, too! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...