Monday, March 25, 2013

Out to eat vegan style!

On the subject of growing vegetables, one cannot overlook the main reason for growing vegetables - eating them!

I've given myself a new challenge for the month of April, to go all veggie and no animal product - I'm going vegan for the month! Yeah vegetables! I'd seen a documentary and got the idea - I guess it's just something new to try out, and a test for myself to see how I do cooking and eating new recipes. Plus it's a guaranteed way to use the vegetables in my CSA box delivered weekly!

In anticipation for what awaits me, I went out to eat at a vegan place here in town the other night in the older and more alternative area of town. Here it is!

LEAF
It was great! After getting my pick of tables and being greeted by friendly staff, I perused the menu and arrived at my choice:

Seitan wrapped in a deep-fried pandan leaf with wasabi and lime puree served
with melon and seaweed salsa on a bed of red curry sauce
Whew, now that's a mouthful to say! And was a mouthful of tastes, wow! It had a combination of great flavors, and was very tasty (although I would have wished a slightly larger portion for the price). The palm leaves were of course just served for show, not to eat. And the pureed vegetables tasted like spicy pureed cauliflower in a way - and were great with the red curry sauce. Yum!

cozy atmosphere, homey decorations
Hurray for veggies! I wasn't aware until last night that seitan is NOT a tofu product like I thought, but is made entirely of wheat, wheat gluten to be specific (so not ok for you with gluten allergies, of course!). It is a common meat substitute, and I think it has a similar texture to firm tofu. And gives you the chew like a piece of meat would.

If this is any indicator of my upcoming month, I think I'm not gonna mind going vegan at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...